Blairgowrie & District Hillwalking Club
Web site: www.bdhc.org.uk
Walk A: Carn Gorm, Meall Gharb, Carn Mairg, Meall Nan Aighean (Creag Mhor)
Start car park ar Inverar 665483, walk past phone box, after 25m turn right through gate. Follow path through woods follow Inverar Burn, cross bridge follow path and round the edge of forestry. Bear west and climb NW up flank of Carn Gorm (M) 1029m.Head N. then NE to line of fence posts which leads east to Meall Garbh 968m (M) Continue east following fence posts (faint ones cut off corner) bold ones follow in poor weather. To Meal a Bharr 1004m Go east on narrowing ridge to Carn Mairg 1042 (M) Head E and the SE to avoid crags to col. From col climb steadily S to summit of Meall na Aighean 974m (M) Retrace steps to near col and walk W down long ridge , then SW to join track and back to Inverar.
Approx distance: 18km. Total ascent: 1310m. Min walking time:6 - 8 hrs
Walk B: Meal nan Aighean (Creag Mhor) Craig Mairg
Start as walk A at 664487 take path E and climb broad ridge NE to col and to summit of Meall na Aighean 974 (M) walk N to col at 689512 then NW to summit of Carn Mairg 1041 (M) retrace route to the start.
Approx distance: 13km. Total ascent: 1100m. Min walking time:4.5 - 6 hrs
Approx distance: . Total ascent: . Min walking time:
Please note that experienced members are welcome to create their own walk should they so wish. Any applicable club rules should be followed and the route posted with the Meet Secretary on the day.
Email meets/at/bdhc.org.uk or phone on 01334 870866 if you want to come - visitors please feel free to use this email.
Please note that the Minimum walking times are based on reasonably fast walkers and assuming good conditions. The times do not include stops or breaks. In poor weather conditions or if members are not comfortable walking at 4km/hour then alternative or shorter routes should be considered.
IMPORTANT : YOUR SAFETY IN THE HILLS
The Committee reminds members and guests of the following important points:
- You are responsible for your own safety
- Club officials are not trained mountain leaders
- Are you fit enough to complete your chosen walk in the available time?
- Know where you are going on the walk and follow the route on your map.
- Know how many are in your party and stay together
- Ensure you have enough food plus emergency rations
- Carry a map & compass, survival bag, torch, whistle and small first aid kit. Know how to use them.
- In winter conditions you must carry an ice axe on high level walks (club rule). You are also recommended to carry crampons.
- Learn how to use your equipment.