Blairgowrie & District Hillwalking Club
Web site: www.bdhc.org.uk
Walk A: The Fara
Start Dalwhinne Station, go south, cross the level crossing, follow track for 2km to 615835 look for gap between old and new forest. Climb NW up the slope through this gap. At the top of the forest follow broken fence and dry stane dyke to the massive summit cairn 911m. Follow the ridge SW to Meall Cruaidh (897m) Descend SW then South to the track near Ben Alder Lodge return along banks of Loch Ericht.
Approx distance: 20km. Total ascent: 775m. Min walking time:7hrs
Walk B: The Fara
As A walk to the summit cairn and return the same way. (A detour, there and back, to investigate Meall Liath and the notable feature Dirc Mhor NNW from the summit cairn of The Fara, at 590 860 adds 4.5 km to the walk)
Approx distance: 9km(13.5km). Total ascent: 550m. Min walking time:3.5hrs (6hrs)
Walk C: Loch Ericht Shores
Walk as far as you like along the shores of Loch Ericht and back again.
Approx distance: As required. Total ascent: As required. Min walking time:As required
Please note that experienced members are welcome to create their own walk should they so wish. Any applicable club rules should be followed and the route posted with the Meet Secretary on the day.
Email meets/at/bdhc.org.uk or phone on 01334 870866 if you want to come - visitors please feel free to use this email.
Please note that the Minimum walking times are based on reasonably fast walkers and assuming good conditions. The times do not include stops or breaks. In poor weather conditions or if members are not comfortable walking at 4km/hour then alternative or shorter routes should be considered.
The next club walk is on the 28/10/2018 to Dreish/Mayer starting at 8.00 am (Blairgowrie) and 8.15 am (Alyth).
IMPORTANT : YOUR SAFETY IN THE HILLS
The Committee reminds members and guests of the following important points:
- You are responsible for your own safety
- Club officials are not trained mountain leaders
- Are you fit enough to complete your chosen walk in the available time?
- Know where you are going on the walk and follow the route on your map.
- Know how many are in your party and stay together
- Ensure you have enough food plus emergency rations
- Carry a map & compass, survival bag, torch, whistle and small first aid kit. Know how to use them.
- In winter conditions you must carry an ice axe on high level walks (club rule). You are also recommended to carry crampons.
- Learn how to use your equipment.